Thursday, August 19, 2010

"Oh that's so arty..."


"Uh..."
I was reading this magazine yesterday when I ran into someone I went to school with. That was her reaction.
You would know, if you had ever have had this said to you that it usually is said by someone who doesn't deem themselves to be "arty" and it's pretty laden with passive aggressive bullshit. The subtext is - "Look at you trying to be so arty and alternative by reading a magazine that I haven't ever seen and is therefore labelling itself as arty and alternative. You know you aren't unique right? At least I know who I am and am comfortable in following what I suppose you would deem as "mainstream" but really with the more people like you that exist the more alternative and unique I actually become... which makes me better than you."
I don't get it. I don't go around telling you that what you're reading is "so mainstream". I don't care what you're reading or how big its readership is. I know I'm not unique in my interests because if I was such a magazine wouldn't exist and I would probably just sit at home writing notes on pieces of scrap paper and read them back to myself and think of how arty and alternative I am by creating a "publication" with a readership of one - ME. Because I'm THAT much of an elitist.

Anyways this this is a really good magazine. First one in a long time I have read from cover to cover. I swear I'm not just saying that because of my love/obsession for Alison Mosshart or because I'm SO arty.

No comments: