Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The Parisian Review



KEROUAC;
Iroquois. As you know from looking at me. [Reads from notebook.]
'On the lawn on the way to the store
forty-four years old for the neighbors to hear
hey, looka, Ma I hurt myself. Especially
with that squirt.'
What's that mean?

INTERVIEWER
Send that one to Ginsberg.

http://www.theparisreview.org/interviews/4260/the-art-of-fiction-no-41-jack-kerouac

Wait theres more. He talks about Hippos:

KEROAC
Is this my wine?

INTERVIEWER
Was The Town and the City written under spontaneous composition principles?

KEROUAC
Some of it, sire. I also wrote another version that's hidden under the floorboards, with Burroughs.

INTERVIEWER
Yes, I've heard rumors of that book. Everybody wants to get at that book.

KEROUAC
It's called And the Hippos Were Boiled in Their Tanks. The hippos. Because Burroughs and I were sitting in a bar one night and we heard a newscaster saying “ . . . and so the Egyptians attacked blah blah . . . and meanwhile there was a great fire in the zoo in London and the fire raced across the fields and the hippos were boiled in their tanks! Goodnight everyone!” That's Bill, he noticed that. Because he notices them kind of things.

No comments: